The new season of the Liga 2 championship, edition 2022-2023, will take place in the same way as it took place in the recently concluded edition, 2021-2022. The format is to be approved today, June 29, 2022, and within the Executive Committee of the Romanian Football Federation.
Although it was discussed that the new season of the second league will have round-robin matches and play-out, as did not happen in the last edition, this, from the information Liga2.rohas not been approved by the federal government, so it goes on the already known option.
The new season of League 2, edition 2022-2023, takes place exactly like the previous one. The pandemic is over, the format of the championship remains the same
The current format of the League 2 championship was admitted by the FRF for the period when the pandemic brought all sorts of problems to the clubs, such as additional expenses for testing against COVID-19. The pandemic and the restrictions have passed, but the forum led by Răzvan Burleanu was so satisfied with him that he decided to go on the same option in the 2022-2023 season, although the clubs would have wanted more matches to play, at least in the playoffs. They had the same desire last summer, but even then FRF did not want this.
For example, the teams that played in the playoffs in the 2021-2022 edition ended up playing in League 2 a total of 29 matches. The two (“U” Cluj and Concordia Chiajna) who played promotion promotion reached 31. Instead, those who went into the play-out had a total of 25 games. And here were two (Poli Timișoara and FC Brașov) that reached 27 games, because they played two more in the maintenance dam.
Regular season in League 2 with 19 stages, only round matches. Then comes the play-off with round and round, respectively play-out with only round matches
League 2, 2022-2023 edition, will have 20 teams at the start, and they will play in the regular season only round matches, ie there will be 19 stages and 19 games for each team.
Subsequently, the first six ranked in the regular season will play in the playoffs, in round-trip system, ie they will have another 10 matches in as many stages to play.
The teams on the 7-20 places will be divided into two play-out series, and will also play only round matches, ie six more games each in a span of seven stages.
In the previous two seasons, the determination of the two play-out groups was made on the basis of the places they finished in the regular season. In Group A places 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19 went, while in Group B places 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 17, 20 arrived.
- It is desired that in 2022 the first 16 stages of the regular season will be played, and in the spring of 2023 the last three stages will take place, then to enter the play-off (ten stages), respectively play-out (seven stages).
- The new League 2 season is scheduled to start on August 6, and the draw for the match schedule could most likely take place on July 18.
And in the 2022-2023 edition, the promotion in League 1 is established in the same way
According to a decision taken on August 6, 2020, in a meeting of the FRF Emergency Committee, and in the 2022-2023 season, League 2 will be promoted as in the 2021-2022 edition.
The teams in the 1st and 2nd places in the League 2 play-off will be promoted in League 1, following that the teams ranked in the 3rd and 4th places in the play-off will play a two-round tie (round-trip) with the teams ranked in the places 8, respectively 7 in the League 1 play-out. The teams on the 9th and 10th places in the League 1 play-out will be relegated directly.
At the same time, it was decided that starting with the 2023-2024 season, to promote in League 1 the teams ranked 1st and 2nd in League 2, and only the one ranked 3rd will play a tie in two rounds (round trip) with the team ranked 8th in the League 1 play-out. The teams in the 9th and 10th places in the League 1 play-out will be relegated directly.
In the 2021-2022 edition of League 2, it was relegated to League 3 as follows: the 6th and 7th places in the two play-out groups fell directly, and the 5th place occupants played a maintenance / relegation dam.
The composition of the new season of League 2, 2022-2023 edition:
Concordia Chiajna (he played promotion promotion with Chindia Târgoviște, but lost it in the tiebreaker)
FK Miercurea Ciuc
CS Comunal Șelimbăr
The future of Pandurii Târgu Jiu
Timișoara Polytechnic (relegated to Liga 3 following the dam with FC Brașov, but was repressed in Liga 2 following the non-certification of the relegation from Liga 1 Gaz Metan Mediaș)
Unirea Constanța (relegated directly to League 3, but was repressed in League 2 following the non-certification of the relegation from Liga 1 Academica Clinceni)
SC Oţelul Galați
Minaur Baia Mare
- He was relegated from League 1, they played in the League 2 playoffs, they played in the League 2 play-out.
- The last five teams listed they promoted League 3 athletes, but at the moment, their certification process for League 2 has not ended. Without this certification, these teams are not allowed to play in the second echelon.
- If vacancies appear until the start of the new season, they will be filled, in the following order, by the teams that lost the promotion round in League 2: CS Hunedoara, AFC Odorheiu Secuiesc, CSM Reșița, Dante Botoșani and CS Tunari.
- The rest of the relegated teams from League 1, Gaz Metan Mediaș and Academica Clinceni, respectively the rest of the relegated teams from League 2, Dunărea Călărași, Dacia Unirea Brăila and Astra, did not obtain or did not submit the file for certification to League 2, 2022-2023 edition.